Whether it’s your make up bag that you carry around with you or your makeup drawer in your bedroom, you need to clean it regularly for hygiene purposes to avoid irritation, infection, possible allergies or more serious illnesses.
Here is what you need to do:
- Wash your makeup bag inside out.
- Wipe the surface of your entire make up containers.
- Wash all brushers and toss away old ones.
- Check the expiry dates of your skin care products that carry expiry date and throw away the expired ones.
- Throw away old makeup: The general rule is if your makeup is hydrous i.e. contains water like mascara and liquid eyeliners; you need to throw them away every 3 months.
- Use your senses to decide what to keep and what not. If a lipstick smells like clay throw it away, if a cream hardens then it’s time to replace it, if your powder, eye shadow or blush look glazed over, toss them.
When in doubt check this schedule for the expiry dates of your makeup.